Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Movies 101: 10-1

#10 - The Descent
Directed by Neil Marshall
Starring Shauna Macdonald, Natalie Jackson Mendoza, and Alex Reid
Released on August 4, 2006
Plot:
A caving expedition goes horribly wrong, as the explorers become trapped and ultimately pursued by a strange breed of predators.
My thoughts: Easily the scariest movie I've ever seen. Like I've said, I'm not often scared by films, but the claustrophobic presence this movie gives off is unrelenting. Neil Marshall is a director to keep your eye on. He's already directed three great films, and is currently directing a war film entitled "Centurion" which is supposedly in the vain of Inglourious Basterds. The monsters in this movie are great, the gore is cool, but the strongest point of this movie is it's soundtrack. It's eerie and unsettling. A second film was released on DVD just recently. It's was pretty good as far as sequels go, but it had a tacked on and very Hollywood ending.
Robby014’s thoughts: Pretty decent movie. Even considering the genre, I still liked this movie. It was more of a jump scare movie, but that doesn’t mean the dark and gloomy feeling wasn’t there. A good watch.

#9 - Napoleon Dynamite
Directed by Jared Hess
Starring Jon Heder, Jon Gries, and Aaron Ruell
Released on August 27, 2004
Plot:
A listless and alienated teenager decides to help his new friend win the class presidency in their small western high school, while he must deal with his bizarre family life back home.
My thoughts: Revenge of the Nerds meets Rushmore. That's what I see this movie as. And that's not a bad thing! This movie is highly quotable, good-spirited, and totally out there! My personal favorite scene is when Uncle Rico throws a blue-rare steak in Napoleon's face while he's biking. IDIOT! A cult-classic in the truest sense.
Robby014’s thoughts: As much as I hated this movie, I still can’t deny that it is one of the most quoted movies of all time. I don’t know why, but it is. The comedy is stupid, and there’s really nothing much to it, but somehow, I still watched it. Oh, and Retro, I still have this for PSP UMD thanks to you...

#8 - Forrest Gump
Directed by Robert Zemeckis
Starring Tom Hanks, Robin Wright, and Gary Sinise
Released on July 6, 1994
Plot:
Forrest Gump, while not intelligent, has accidentally been present at many historic moments, but his true love, Jenny, eludes him.
My thoughts: I once wanted to remake this movie on a shitty video recorder. I was going to tie a feather on a fishing pole, and stand on my friend's apartment balcony, to imitate the iconic floating feather image. It obviously never happened. Goddamn you, you naive 14-year-old bastard. Still, I love this movie. Tom Hanks is my favorite actor of all time, and he shows his versatility in this film. Though I do find it sad that everyone leaves him for no apparent reason. Jenny leaves him like three times, and when he finally marries her, SHE FUCKING DIES! Lt. Dan leaves him by jumping off the shrimping boat, his mom dies, Bubba dies, he doesn't get to meet his son for 5 years, shit, even the feather leaves him at the end of the fucking movie! Oh, and Lt. Dan has magic legs.
Robby014’s thoughts: I didn’t like this movie as much as everyone else, but it was definitely a good one. I never knew there were so many ways to eat shrimp, good job Bubba. What Retro won’t tell you is that he was going to direct a remake of the movie on a cheap little camera. He was going to tie a feather to a fishing pole and try to recreate the floating feather effect from the film. Anyways, Forrest Gump is a must-watch!

#7 - The Green Mile
Directed by Frank Darabont
Starring Tom Hanks, Michael Clarke Duncan, and David Morse
Released on December 10, 1999
Plot:
The story about the lives of guards on death row leading up to the execution of a black man accused of child murder and rape, who has the power of faith healing.
My thoughts: Another powerful movie. Another tear-jerker. Frank Darabont is the king of King. He knows how to make a perfect Stephen King movie, and this is his second best try at one. Michael Clarke Duncan is great as John Coffey ("Just like the drink, only not spelled the same."). Tom Hanks does a good job as a guard with a urinary tract infection. Great movies make the magical and unthinkable, believable, and this one certainly does the job. Also, another film with a fantastic soundtrack. Thomas Newman is one of the greatest composers of all time, second to John Williams, of course.

#6 - Finding Nemo
Directed by Andrew Stanton and Lee Unkrich
Starring Albert Brooks, Ellen DeGeneres, and Alexander Gould
Released on May 30, 2003
Plot:
A father-son underwater adventure featuring Nemo, a boy clownfish, stolen from his coral reef home. His timid father must then travel to Sydney and search Sydney Harbour to find Nemo.
My thoughts: Another moving film from Pixar. This is their best, and why not? It has a beautiful setting, great animation, and a wonderful soundtrack from Thomas Newman. This is an adventure film in it's purest form. You feel compelled for both Marlin and Nemo to reunite, and the creatures they meet on their way are very well-animated. The greatest family film of all time.
Robby014’s thoughts: This, much like every goddamn Pixar movie, is a feel good film. It transforms you into a kid and teaches you all over again. I’ve done animation in the past, and I know how hard it is to make these films... I know they’re a big company and they’re experienced, but the effort is there in every one of the movies they make.

#5 - The Shawshank Redemption
Directed by Frank Darabont
Starring Tim Robbins, Morgan Freeman, and Bob Gunton
Released on September 23, 1994
Plot:
Two imprisoned men bond over a number of years, finding solace and eventual redemption through acts of common decency.
My thoughts: Inspiring. That's my one word for this movie. Thank you, Frank Darabont, for making three great Stephen King movies worthy of the name. The Shawshank Redemption has great writing, great music, and great acting. Most notably, Morgan Freeman. This is his finest performance out of a career full of great work. This movie also introduced me to Tim Robbins, who isn't no slouch either. A definite must-see. I'm not the only one who feels this way, as The Shawshank Redemption is #1 on the IMDB Top 250.

#4 - Back to the Future
Directed by Robert Zemeckis
Starring Michael J. Fox, Christopher Lloyd, and Lea Thompson
Released on July 3, 1985
Plot:
In 1985, Doc Brown invents time travel; in 1955, Marty McFly accidentally prevents his parents from meeting, putting his own existence at stake.
My thoughts: I am a huge Christopher Lloyd fan. I loved him in the BttF trilogy, and I loved him in Who Framed Roger Rabbit, as well as the show Taxi. This is his best film, and Robert Zemeckis' as well. The music is great. Alan Silvestri orchestrates one of the finest soundtracks in film history, and Michael J. Fox is brilliant as well. The effects were great for the time, and the story is very relatable. Everyone's always wondered what their parents were like as teenagers. The cliff-hanger ending is awesome, and the film as a whole is near-perfect. The greatest 80s film of all time.
Robby014’s thoughts: This movie is a lot of fun. I had never seen this until Retro showed me, and I’m (again) glad he did. Good performances and it looked like a lot of fun to put together. Holy shit.... I’m writing this and I KNOW that I’ve said pretty much all of this before, at least 10 times. So, it’s time for something different..... RANDOM MICHAEL J. FOX JOKE! Michael J. Fox can go back in time, but what can’t he do? Use an Etch-A-Sketch!

#3 - Pulp Fiction
Directed by Quentin Tarantino
Starring John Travolta, Samuel L. Jackson, and Uma Thurman
Released on October 14, 1994
Plot:
The lives of two mob hit men, a boxer, a gangster's wife, and a pair of diner bandits intertwine in four tales of violence and redemption.
My thoughts: Tarantino's best. This film is so good, that I've completely memorized the Big Kahuna Burger scene. The film has a quite long runtime of 154 minutes, but it flies by like an 80 minute movie. Easily the best written film of all time, and the acting is top-notch. My personal favorite line is "I think I shot Marvin in the face..."
Robby014’s thoughts: Not the greatest movie out there, but it was alright. I found that a line I’ve heard a million times was in this movie, with no one other than Sammy J saying it. “MMmhmmm... this IS a tasy burger.” What a great scene. This movie helps bring my opinion of Tarantino up, which is strange.

#2 - Dumb & Dumber
Directed by Peter Farrelly
Starring Jim Carrey, Jeff Daniels, and Lauren Holly
Released on December 16, 1994
Plot:
The cross-country adventures of two good-hearted but incredibly stupid friends.
My thoughts: The funniest movie of all time. I love the films of Jim Carrey, and this is his best. Carrey and Daniels have great comedic chemistry, and the movie's soundtrack is great. Too bad the Farrelly brothers haven't pumped out anything as good as this since. POINTLESS TRIVIA: The writers originally wanted Nicolas Cage and Gary Oldman. WHAT!?!
Robby014’s thoughts: I love comedy. It’s a fact. I just plain love it. I hate stupid comedy if it’s done wrong. Fortunately, everything about this film was done right. There are sooooo many scenes that kept me entertained, and I recently saw a 2 dollar showing of this movie and it reminded me of how it’s still funny after you’ve seen it. Another thing: THIS is one of the best movies to quote. Not surprising that this is a top-ranker. The only question it raises is “WHAT COULD POSSIBLY TOP THIS?!?!”

AND #1.................

#1 - Throbbin Hood
Directed by Cash Markman
Starring Ron Jeremy, Alyssa Alure, and Angelica Sin
Released on July 1, 1999
Plot:
Throbbin Hood and his Very Merry Men go on an adventure to rescue Maid Mary Ann, and get their fuck on. Too bad the frigid Queen Caroline and her cockblocking cohort Sheriff Naughty Ham are trying to stop them.
My thoughts: Ummmm, sorry, total fuckup on my part.... (RUNS AWAY)
Robby014's thoughts: Alright, but not as good as In Diana Jones and the Temple of Poon...

The real #1....... (drumroll)

#1 - Jurassic Park
Directed by Steven Spielberg
Starring Sam Neill, Laura Dern, and Jeff Goldblum
Released on June 11, 1993
Plot:
During a preview tour, a theme park suffers a major power breakdown that allows its cloned dinosaur exhibits to run amok.
My thoughts: My favorite film of all time. This is the only perfect movie I've ever seen. Everything from the acting, the soundtrack, the effects, the tension, the comic relief, the writing... it's all flawless. Fuck you, Schindler's List. Step aside, Close Encounters. Jurassic Park is Spielberg's greatest achievement in filmmaking. This was the first movie I'd ever seen, and it remains my favorite. All the film's in the Jurassic Park trilogy are good, but JP3 is only a summer popcorn movie. The first two films were actually intelligent. I've been waiting for Jurassic Park IV for nine years, so I hope it goes into production soon. Whenever I don’t know what to watch, I almost always pop in Jurassic Park, because I’m guaranteed a great film. Now the new Telltale Games episodic video game series is coming out this winter, and a new comic series, Jurassic Park: Redemption is out. JP is making a comeback, and that’s fucking awesome. I am in fucking love with this film, and THIS is why I got into cinema. THIS is why I watch movies. THIS is an incredible film that inspires me.
Robby014’s thoughts: THIS is how you top Dumb & Dumber. A movie that focuses less on ketchup and mustard wars and more on.... well.... everything. I went in to see a movie, and I got much more than that. It doesn’t surprise me at all that this would make it to Retro’s #1 spot. Probably not #1 for me, but it would definitely rank high. This is why we go to the movies, and anyone who won’t like this is still in diapers. End of story. Good call, Retro. ‘Till next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment