Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Movies 101: 20-11

#20 - Monsters, Inc.
Directed by Pete Docter and David Silverman
Starring John Goodman, Billy Crystal, and Mary Gibbs
Released on November 2, 2001
Plot:
Monsters generate their city's power by scaring children, but they are terribly afraid themselves of being contaminated by children, so when one enters Monstropolis, top scarer Sulley finds his world disrupted.
My thoughts: Pixar again releases a great film. Monsters, Inc. is their second best movie. It's touching, funny, and original. The effects were great for the time, and still hold up pretty well, and it ended up being one of the best movies of 2001. Also, it has a wonderful ending. Still, is it that necessary to make a sequel? Apparently Disney thinks so according to IMDB. Monsters, Inc. 2 is headed to theaters in 2012.

#19 - Knocked Up
Directed by Judd Apatow
Starring Seth Rogan, Katherine Heigl, and Paul Rudd
Released on June 1, 2007
Plot:
For fun loving party animal Ben Stone, the last thing he ever expected was for his one night stand to show up on his doorstep eight weeks later to tell him she's pregnant.
My thoughts: Again, Judd Apatow writes a stellar comedy. The difference between a movie like Knocked Up and Juno, is that Knocked Up is a lot more relatable. This is Seth Rogan's best movie, and Apatow's as well.
Robby014’s thoughts: This was a great movie. It’s sort of an important topic to make a movie about, too. It kept me fairly entertained.

#18 - Detroit Rock City
Directed by Adam Rifkin
Starring Giuseppe Andrews, James DeBello, and Edward Furlong
Released on August 13, 1999
Plot:
A comedy about four teenagers in 1978 who try to scam their way into a KISS concert.
My thoughts: I am a fan of classic rock. KISS is one of my favorite bands, but I'm not a hardcore fan. The four friends in this movie are definite hardcore fans. They fight, fuck, and rob to get their KISS tickets, and it's alot of fun to watch them get to the concert. The music in this movie is fucking amazing.

#17 - The Dark Knight
Directed by Christopher Nolan
Starring Christian Bale, Heath Ledger, and Aaron Eckhart
Released on July 18, 2008
Plot:
Batman, Gordon and Harvey Dent are forced to deal with the chaos unleashed by an anarchist known only as the Joker, as it drives each of them to their limits.
My thoughts: There is no doubt in my mind that this is easily the greatest comic book movie I've ever seen. I didn't love Batman Begins, though I definitely enjoyed it, but this is a groundbreaking film. It's not only the greatest comic book film of all time, but one of the greatest crime epic's I've ever seen.
Robby014’s thoughts: I didn’t like this movie over Iron Man, but it was still alright. I’m not as big of a fan as everyone else is, and frankly, Heath Ledger did do a great job. Still, this film can’t be held up by his performance...

#16 - Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy
Directed by Adam McKay
Starring Will Ferrell, Christina Applegate, and Paul Rudd
Released on July 9, 2004
Plot:
Ron Burgundy is San Diego's top rated newsman in the male dominated broadcasting of the 1970's, but that's all about to change when a new female employee with ambition to burn arrives in his office.
My thoughts: Like I said earlier, I'm not a huge fan of Will Ferrell. I find his humor mostly unrelatable, and overtly silly, but somehow this movie got to me. It's easily his funniest movie, and without a doubt one of the greatest comedies of all time. The real star of the show, however, is Steve Carrell. He was meant to play Brick Tambland, and he makes this already great movie amazing.
Robby014’s thoughts: FUCK THIS MOVIE! I normally like Will Ferrell, I don’t know why either. This style of comedy is just too dumb to make me laugh. Another Family Guy humour movie. Better luck next time.

#15 - Field of Dreams
Directed by Phil Alden Robinson
Starring Kevin Costner, Amy Madigan, and Gaby Hoffmann
Released on April 21, 1989
Plot:
An Iowa corn farmer, hearing voices, interprets them as a command to build a baseball diamond in his fields; he does and the Chicago Black Sox come.
My thoughts: I love this movie. It's touching, powerful, and overall magical. Let me get this out of the way; I hate Kevin Costner. He was terrible in The Postman, he was terrible in Waterworld, and he was terrible in Swing Vote. Fuck you, Mr. Costner. Still, he is great in this movie, but even better than him is Ray
Liotta and James Earl Jones. They work wonders in this movie. You must see this film.
Robby014’s thoughts: Who’s the black dude? He’s awesome. I remember very little of this movie, mainly because I’m reminded of only one line in the entire movie. “If you build it, he will come.” Still, it’s a great movie and I can’t recommend it enough.

#14 - Terminator 2: Judgment Day
Directed by James Cameron
Starring Arnold Schwarzenegger, Linda Hamilton, and Edward Furlong
Released on July 3, 1991
Plot:
The cyborg who once tried to kill Sarah Connor must now protect her teenage son, John Connor, from an even more powerful and advanced cyborg.
My thoughts: This is an action film masterpiece. It stands the test of time, and somehow, still remains as good as it did in Summer '91. This is Arnold's best movie, and without a doubt, James Cameron's all time greatest film. You don't have to have watched the original to enjoy this action movie, and you don't have to like action movies to like this film. That scene where Linda Hamilton is in the playground when it gets nuked, and she turns into a skeleton, that always scared the shit out of me when I was a kid.
Robby014’s thoughts: This is definitely a must-watch. If I made a list like this, it would be in my top 10 without a doubt. Besides, the scene at the end with the thumbs up is enough to make it award worthy...

#13 - Stand by Me
Directed by Rob Reiner
Starring Wil Wheaton, River Phoenix, and Corey Feldman
Released on August 8, 1986
Plot:
After the death of a friend, a writer recounts a boyhood journey to find the body of a missing boy.
My thoughts: This is a powerful movie. I loved Stephen King's novella "The Body" of which this film is based upon, but the movie is just as good. Rob Reiner is very careful when adapting a book into a film, i.e. Misery. Richard Dreyfuss plays the part of the writer/narrator beautifully, and all the kids do a great job of portraying Gordy, Teddy, Chris, and Vern. One thing that always struck me as a powerful moment in this film was the shot at the end, where River Phoenix's character walks away into the sunset, and while he's walking, he just dissolves away. It's a strong contrast to the real-life death of River Phoenix, who passed away at a young age.
Robby014’s thoughts: Retro was telling me for a very long time to watch this movie. Quite frankly, I’m glad he did. The scene with the train coming was a terrifying experience, even though I was in a chair watching a TV.

#12 - Antwone Fisher
Directed by Denzel Washington
Starring Derek Luke, Denzel Washington, and Malcolm David Kelley
Released on January 10, 2003
Plot:
Antwone Fisher, a young navy man, is forced to see a psychiatrist after a violent outburst against a fellow crewman. During the course of treatment, a painful past is revealed and a new hope begins.
My thoughts: This is a definite tear-jerker. I don't often get tearful during movies, but this one did it to me. Hell, it does it to me everytime I watch it. I think the movie works because it isn't pessimistic. Terrible things happen to Antwone during his life, but the film holds a recurring theme, which is hope and the future. Denzel Washington has crafted a brilliant film, one that I think everyone should see at least once. Though I did enjoy Precious, I think this is a much superior film.

#11 - Kill Bill: Vol. 2
Directed by Quentin Tarantino
Starring Uma Thurman, David Carradine, and Michael Madsen
Released on April 16, 2004
Plot:
The murderous Bride continues her vengeance quest against her ex-boss, Bill, and his two remaining associates; his younger brother Budd, and Bill's latest flames, Elle.
My thoughts: Fuck! Tarantino is a goddamn genius! While Kill Bill: Vol. 1 doesn't make this list, it's still fucking awesome, and must be seen prior to watching this film. Uma Thurman is the only one I can see playing this role, and David Carradine is fucking brilliant in this film. Bill was barely seen in the first film, but Tarantino fleshes him out in this one. Quentin's written some of his best dialogue for Bill, and in the end, you don't know if you even want him to die. Also, the film has a great soundtrack. The first film's soundtrack was okay, but lacked some real music. The RZA returns, but director Robert Rodriguez demonstrates his talent in the music department for the film's soundtrack. A fantastic film.
Robby014’s thoughts: I’m not a big fan of anything Tarantino has done really. Nothing of his has really made me say “WOW!” This movie was representative of this.... again.

No comments:

Post a Comment