Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Movies 101: 60-51

#60 - Home Alone
Directed by Chris Columbus
Starring Macaulay Culkin, Joe Pesci, and Daniel Stern
Runtime: 103 minutes
Released on November 16, 1990
Plot:
An eight year-old, who is accidentally left behind while his family flies to France for Christmas, has to defend his home against idiotic burglars.
My thoughts: Wow. Earlier I stated that I was not partial to holiday movies, but there's been like four so far! This is one of the better John Hughes' movies. I have a friend that won't watch this movie because there's a tarantula in it (he's an arachnophobic), so he settles for the considerably inferior sequels. Needless to say, he's missing out. This is the perfect slapstick comedy. Still, they need to release a director's cut with an alternate ending where Joe Pesci bites off Macaulay Culkin's fingers. Regardless, Home Alone has the single funniest portrayal of parental neglect I've ever seen in a motion picture, well, you know, besides Precious.
Robby014's thoughts: Yays! What a good movie. Perfect comedy, and funny for everyone too, not just the kids. Though, kids will enjoy this immensley. I mean, what kid doesn't want to try these pranks after watching this movie?

#59 - The Life of David Gale
Directed by Alan Parker
Starring Kate Winslet, Kevin Spacey, and Laura Linney
Runtime: 130 minutes
Released on February 21, 2003
Plot:
A man against capital punishment is accused of murdering a fellow activist and is sent to death row.
My thoughts: This movie is such a mind-fuck. Seriously, the ending is in the spirit of the original Saw's conclusion. A great whodunit. The soundtrack is good, and the movie's final twist is jaw-dropping.

#58 - Toy Story
Directed by John Lasseter
Starring Tom Hanks, Tim Allen, and Don Rickles
Runtime: 81 minutes
Released on November 22, 1995
Plot:
A cowboy toy is profoundly threatened and jealous when a fancy spaceman toy supplants him as top toy in a boy's room.
My thoughts: Here is proof that Pixar was great from the start of their feature film career. Tom Hanks and Tim Allen play off of each other perfectly and the rest of the cast is great, as well. Toy Story is essentially a buddy movie, but it sure is a damn good one.
Robby014's thoughts: Toy Story is such a great franchise. Every one of the films is great. Toy Story 2 could've used some work, and isn't as memorable or nostalgic as the first, but is still acceptable. I loved Toy Story 3 as well. This film has a great soundtrack as well. For some reason, as far as stories about toys goes, I liked Small Soldiers more for some reason.... "Me Archer...".

#57 - Planes, Trains and Automobiles
Directed by John Hughes
Starring Steve Martin, John Candy, and Laila Robins
Runtime: 92 minutes
Released on November 25, 1987
Plot:
A man must struggle to travel home for Thanksgiving, with an obnoxious slob of a shower ring salesman his only companion.
My thoughts: I'm sure I'm starting to sound like a broken record, but again, another comedy that works because it has heart. John Candy is one of my favorite comedians, and he rocks the shit out of this movie! If you liked this movie, than you'll probably like Uncle Buck, also a John Hughes film.

#56 - Man on the Moon
Directed by Milos Forman
Starring Jim Carrey, Danny DeVito, and Courtney Love
Runtime: 118 minutes
Released on December 22, 1999
Plot:
A film about the life and career of the eccentric avant-garde comedian, Andy Kaufman.
My thoughts: I fucking love Jim Carrey! He is often disregarded as a fart-joke comedian, but just look at his resume. Man on the Moon, Number 23, Truman Show, and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind? Fuck you, critics. Fuck you in your cynical critic asses. In all seriousness, though, this is a moving and funny film about the other-worldly Andy Kaufman. If you aren't familiar with Kaufman's work, consider this movie Andy Kaufman 101.

#55 - The Lion King
Directed by Roger Allers and Rob Minkoff
Starring Jonathan Taylor Thomas, Matthew Broderick, and Jeremy Irons
Runtime: 87 minutes
Released on June 24, 1994
Plot:
Tricked into thinking he killed his father, a guilt ridden lion cub flees into exile and abandons his identity as the future king.
My thoughts: I am not a fan of traditionally-animated movies. Even more specifically, Disney traditionally-animated movies. The Lion King is a great one. The story is dark and brooding, but also fun and light-hearted. Not to mention that this film spawned one of the only good movie videogames ever, The Lion King for Genesis and Super Nintendo. However, we did get a shitty Timon & Pumbaa television series on the Disney Channel....
Robby014's thoughts: The reason this film's considered a classic is because you can see S-E-X in the stars. I don't remember much after seeing a movie, that's a fact. Still, I remember a ton of this movie and the part I remember the most was that part where the hyenas fall into the pit of thorns. Seriously, I used to spend hours rewinding that shit over and over again.

#54 - Hot Rod
Directed by Akiva Schaffer
Starring Andy Samberg, Jorma Taccone, and Bill Hader
Runtime: 88 minutes
Released on August 3, 2007
Plot:
Self-proclaimed stuntman Rod Kimble is preparing for the jump of his life - to clear fifteen buses to raise money for his abusive stepfather Frank's life-saving heart operation.
My thoughts: This movie is full of 80s references, not unlike Napoleon Dynamite. This movie works because it's so fucking weird. Also, it has a kick-ass soundtrack from 80s band Asia.
Robby014's thoughts: Alot of people want to hate on this movie and I can't quite figure out why, because it's a funny and entertaining movie. The movie's comedy is stupid, but what people need to understand is that it's Simpsons stupid, not Family Guy stupid. There's a difference.

#53 - Up
Directed by Pete Docter and Bob Peterson
Starring Edward Asner, Christopher Plummer, and Jordan Nagai
Runtime: 96 minutes
Released on May 29, 2009
Plot:
By tying thousands of balloons to his home, 78-year-old Carl Fredricksen sets out to fulfill his lifelong dream to see the wilds of South America. Right after lifting off, however, he learns he isn't alone on his journey, since Russell, a wilderness explorer 70 years his junior, has inadvertently become a stowaway on the trip.
My thoughts: Pixar is genius. I have NEVER seen a bad Pixar movie, and they make the best animated films, and Up is no different. The movie is heartwarming, moving, and adventurous. It reminded of the first time I saw The Goonies. A colorful movie, as well.
Robby014's thoughts: Now, I didn't get to see this movie, but based on the hype I've been hearing, that's a real loss on my part. Maybe I'll run over to Wal-Mart and watch it on the 10 televisions being played in electronics.

#52 - Stranger Than Fiction
Directed by Marc Forster
Starring Will Ferrell, Emma Thompson, and Maggie Gyllenhaal
Runtime: 113 minutes
Released on November 10, 2006
Plot:
An IRS auditor suddenly finds himself the subject of narration only he can hear: narration that begins to affect his entire life, from his work, to his love-interest, to his death.
My thoughts: I'm not a big Will Ferrell fan. While I did love Anchorman, and thoroughly enjoyed Step Brothers, I find that Will Ferrell is a wannabe Jim Carrey. I was positive he couldn't act worth shit, that is until I saw Stranger Than Fiction. Sure, he does a little bit of his man-child shtick, but he delivers a memorable and moving performance that surprised the hell out of me. Emma Thompson and Maggie Gyllenhaal are great as always, although Queen Latifah seems like an unnecessary addition to the supporting cast. Dustin Hoffman is great as the literary professor.

#51 - Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street
Directed by Tim Burton
Starring Johnny Depp, Helena Bonham Carter, and Alan Rickman
Runtime: 116 minutes
Released on December 21, 2007
Plot:
The infamous story of Benjamin Barker, a.k.a Sweeney Todd, who sets up a barber shop down in London which is the basis for a sinister partnership with his fellow tenant, Mrs. Lovett. Based on the hit Broadway musical.
My thoughts: I fucking hate musicals. There, I said it. I hated Rent, I hated Hairspray, and I hated Grease 2. Wait... who didn't hate Grease 2? Still, musicals get on my fucking nerves, yet somehow, Sweeney Todd won me over. The music is fantastic, seriously, one of the best soundtracks of all time, and the story is completely involving. It's a disturbing, unnerving, and funny movie, and the only Tim Burton movie on this list.

No comments:

Post a Comment