Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Movies 101: 50-41

#50 - Team America: World Police
Directed by Trey Parker
Starring Trey Parker, Matt Stone, and Kristen Miller
Runtime: 98 minutes
Released on October 15, 2004
Plot:
Popular Broadway actor Gary Johnston is recruited by the elite counter-terrorism organization Team America: World Police. As the world begins to crumble around him, he must battle with terrorists, celebrities and falling in love.
My thoughts: When I said I hated musicals, I meant serious musicals. This is more of a satire than anything. This movie is downright crass, crude, and offensive, and it totally works! The South Park guys have an intelligent sense of humor and they use it to make the dumbest movie of all time. I know several people who fucking hate this film, but I can't deny my love for it.
Robby014's thoughts: THIS IS A FLAMING PIECE OF TRASH! I respect your opinions, Retro, but WHY IS THIS ON HERE!?! You said it yourself, "The dumbest movie of all time"... Don't watch this! Run away!

#49 - South Park: Bigger Longer & Uncut
Directed by Trey Parker
Starring Trey Parker, Matt Stone, and Mary Kay Bergman
Runtime: 81 minutes
Released on June 30, 1999
Plot:
When the four boys see an R-rated movie featuring Canadians Terrance & Phillip, they are pronounced "corrupted", and their parents pressure the United States to wage war against Canada.
My thoughts: I'm Canadian. This movie satires Canadian culture. Am I offended by this? FUCK NO! This movie is easily the greatest musical I have ever seen! The songs are inventive and fun, and the writing is outstanding. Where else can you see a movie where Suddam Hussein fucks Satan? Please, Trey and Matt! Make another movie!
Robby014’s thoughts: Dog shit. Move on. In my opinion, nothing good has come from South Park or their creators. Shove a dick assholes.

#48 - Juno
Directed by Jason Reitman
Starring Ellen Page, Michael Cera, and Jennifer Garner
Runtime: 96 minutes
Released on December 25, 2007
Plot:
Faced with an unplanned pregnancy, an offbeat young woman makes an unusual decision regarding her unborn child.
My thoughts: I was caught completely offguard with this quirky feel-good dramedy. I'd never heard of Ellen Page previous to this and her performance as Juno McGuff was a big surprise for me. Michael Cera is great as always and Jennifer Garner provides something to the art of film besides T&A. J.K. Simmons is always awesome, and this is one of his best roles.
Robby014’s thoughts: Pretty boring movie. Mind you, I watched it at 2 in the morning or something. Not worth the time for me.

#47 - Ice Age
Directed by Chris Wedge and Carlos Saldanha
Starring Ray Romano, John Leguizamo, and Denis Leary
Runtime: 81 minutes
Released on March 15, 2002
Plot:
Set during the Ice Age, a sabertooth tiger, a sloth, and a wooly mammoth find a lost human infant, and they try to return him to his tribe.
My thoughts: I am a huge Denis Leary fan. I loved both his No Cure for Cancer and Lock 'N Load specials, and his book, Why We Suck is fucking genius. He's an extremely raw comedian, so why does he do so many kids' movies? Think about it: A Bug's Life, Ice Age 1-3, and The Sandlot? Still, his humor shines through as the cynical sabertooth tiger, Diego. This movie is hilarious and heart-warming. Too bad the Star Wars: The Clone Wars movie stole this film's plot.
Robby 014’s thoughts: How can you top a movie like this? I loved this the first time I saw it and every time after. We got it for Christmas and my entire family enjoyed it. All the characters are likeable and the character development is substantial in this movie.

#46 - Click
Directed by Frank Coraci
Starring Adam Sandler, Kate Beckinsale, and Christopher Walken
Released on June 23, 2006
Plot:
A workaholic architect finds a universal remote that allows him to fast-forward and rewind to different parts of his life. Complications arise when the remote starts to overrule his choices.
My thoughts: Yes, I know this movie is a rip-off of It's a Wonderful Life, but I still love it for some reason. Adam Sandler has more of an acting talent than a comedic one, and he delivers a convincing performance. This movie is more of a dramedy than a comedy, but it's a good one. Henry Winkler is fantastic in this movie.
Robby014’s thoughts: Kind of a mix of emotions in this movie. It’s a good comedy, but Retro’s right, it’s got a bit of drama and is a pretty moving film. Good performances, and a good investment at the video store.

#45 - He Was a Quiet Man
Directed by Frank A. Cappello
Starring Christian Slater, Elisha Cuthbert, and William H. Macy
Released on December 7, 2007
Plot:
An office worker inadvertently becomes a hero after he saves a woman's life.
My thoughts: This movie is a complete mind-fuck. You'll guess the twists, and then end up wrong. The movie exceeded my expectations in every way and Elisha Cuthbert delivers an Oscar-worthy role in this movie.

#44 - A Goofy Movie
Directed by Kevin Lima
Starring Bill Farmer, Jason Marsden, and Jim Cummings
Released on April 7, 1995
Plot:
When Max makes a preposterous promise to his girlfriend, his chances of fulfilling it seem hopeless when he is dragged onto a cross-country trip with his embarrassing father, Goofy.
My thoughts: Fuck South Park, this is the greatest musical of all time! This is the definitive 90s animated film. It has great 90s tunes, a great 90s story, and a shitload of great Disney references. Although, the beginning when Max turns into Goofy used to scare the hell out of me!
Robby014's thoughts: I love this movie. It's tons of fun. "Eye to Eye" and "Stand Out" are great songs and it's sad that you don't see that kind of effort being put into animated films anymore. This is also a quotable movie, but it doesn't make me mad when someone comes up to me and says "It's the leaning tower of CHEESA!". Also, this movie came out on my birthday. :)

#43 - King Kong
Directed by Peter Jackson
Starring Naomi Watts, Jack Black, and Adrien Brody
Released on December 14, 2005
Plot:
In 1933 New York, an overly ambitious movie producer coerces his cast and hired ship crew to travel to mysterious Skull Island, where they encounter Kong, a giant ape who is immediately smitten with leading lady Ann Darrow.
My thoughts: One of the saddest films of all time. Jack Black delivers a surprising performance as the greedy director, and Kong is the single greatest CGI film character. Peter Jackson is a visionary, and he makes a King Kong that surpasses the original.

#42 - Jackie Brown
Directed by Quentin Tarantino
Starring Pam Grier, Samuel L. Jackson, and Robert Forster
Released on December 25, 1997
Plot:
A female flight attendant becomes a key figure in a plot between the police and an arms dealer.
My thoughts: This is another amazing film from Tarantino. Jackie Brown has more of his smart dialogue and a great soundtrack! I'm not a big blaxploitation fan, but if you want to see Pam Grier in another similar film, make sure to rent Foxy Brown. Robert Forster is the real talent in this film, though. He delivers a performance not unlike Richard Jenkins in Burn After Reading.

#41 - The Perfect Storm
Directed by Wolfgang Petersen
Starring George Clooney, Mark Wahlberg, and Diane Lane
Released on June 30, 2000
Plot:
An unusually intense storm pattern catches some commercial fishermen unaware and puts them in mortal danger.
My thoughts: This is one of the best "true story" movies I've seen. I haven't been a big fan of George Clooney since Batman & Robin, and Marky Mark isn't exactly a great actor, but all of the performances in this are pretty solid, and the soundtrack is great. I was relatively new to the films of Wolfgang Petersen when I saw this movie, but I have since seen some pretty decent action movies from him, such as Air Force One, and Troy. This is a really emotional movie, so don't watch it with a date or your significant other, unless they're into you being sensitive, in which case, GET SOME POON!

No comments:

Post a Comment